5.16.2012

a full heart

Claire had her 2 week check-up on monday {already?!}
It was the first time I left the house with Trey and Claire by myself...and we all survived :)

As we were sitting in the waiting room the woman across from us said "you sure have your hands full!" and this quote has been running through my mind ever since...
  I am sure it is a combination of having just had a baby, spending a week together as a family and then Mother' Day, I have been thinking so much about my role as a mother and how much I love my family.

Trey has adjusted better than I could have ever imagined to having a baby sister. The first thing he does when he wakes up is find Claire, he'll say "baby!" with a big smile and will hold her hand, give her a kiss, or pat her head. He is so tender with her. And he's started "helping" us a lot: putting dishes in the sink and throwing garbage away {we've only found a couple bowls in the garbage and one diaper in the sink} He was meant to be a big brother. Little Claire is such a sweet baby. I love cuddling with her, I love nursing her, I love kissing her little lips. I love watching the beginnings of a brother-sister relationship.

On our way home from the doctor's appointment Trey was singing "the mom song" aka saying "momma" over and over and over. I looked back at him in the rear view mirror and saw those two little people all strapped into their car seats ready to go with their momma wherever she took them, Claire sound asleep and Trey singing away with a big smile on his face.
I had to catch my breath, and that big lump got stuck in my throat. These two have changed me so much. They put everything into perspective and sometimes it scares me how vulnerable they make me, my biggest dreams and my biggest fears now revolve around them.
I thought about how grateful I am they are mine and how grateful I am that we all have Brock- it amazes me how naturally being a dad comes to him.
And then I thought about how I need to be better. All three of them deserve the best me I can give. All that I do and hope to be is for them.
 
{I read this talk on Mother's day, it made me so thankful for all the wonderful moments I am blessed with daily...especially this quote}

"recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction. Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. … I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”"

2 comments:

Nicole Wendorff said...

Amy I love reading your blog. You're so good at reminding me to be better and more grateful. Whose talk was it that you quoted? I want to go read it now :)

Stephanie Bengtson said...

I love that quote and the part of that talk!! I really need to enjoy the moments better. Walker is so big already, I feel like it is flying by, I need to cherish these moments. I love you guys. I love your posts Amy, they make me want to be better. You are so wonderful!