5.10.2012

baby Claire

When I think about Claire's birth one word comes to mind- blessed.

I had some anxiety about a few things as my due date got closer, I was nervous that I would be in labor for 2 days again, I was nervous about what we would do with Trey while I was in labor, I was nervous it would happen when Brock was writing a final, and I was nervous something would happen and I wouldn't be able to deliver naturally.
I feel like I don't usually pray for very specific things to happen in my life, but everyday, for the last few months I prayed that she could be born in the middle of the night, and that it would be a fast delivery. In my perfect world, I would have a normal day, put Trey to bed and have a baby sister for him when he woke up.
That's exactly what happened. 

At about 10pm on April 28th I started having some contractions. I didn't think anything of them because I had been having contractions all week. A week and a half before she was born I had contractions for 6 hours and then they stopped, so I wasn't going to get excited unless they went that long again. By midnight they were still about 5 minutes apart and getting pretty strong, so we called our "come in the middle of the night babysitter" and warned them they may be getting a call later.

I got in the bath for an hour or so, the heat and water makes everything so much better. Brock sat next to the tub, held my hand, and kept me smiling while he timed each one. Then from 1am to 2am I laid on a pile of every pillow in our house, I would have a contraction and then fall asleep, then wake up 4 minutes later and have another one and then fall right back asleep....by 3am I couldn't sleep in between them anymore. I paced and swayed around the house, I wanted to stay at home for as long as I could. It's so much easier for me to get through contractions at home. I like to be alone. I like the dark. I like quiet.

At 4am I decided it was time to go and see where I was at, our babysitter came and we left for the hospital. We only live 5 minutes away, but I had 3 contractions in the car- things were starting to pick up, I was excited and I was scared.

We got the hospital at 4:30am, and there was no break in between contractions anymore. Brock registered me, while I did some more pacing and swaying, and we slowly made our way up to the labor and delivery floor. Brock basically carried me, I was holding on to him for dear life. I was 5cm when they checked me at 4:50am, we got into a delivery room. The nurse left the room for something and my water broke, I could feel we would be meeting our baby VERY soon. The nurse rushed back in {after I called yelled out "my water just broke!"} she checked me again and said "she is right there, let's have a baby!" I was already pushing, the urge was so incredibly strong, I told myself I wouldn't stop until she was out. A couple more nurses came in and 5 minutes later, at 5:11am, little Claire was born.

It happened so quickly, they placed her on me and said "it's a baby girl" I was so completely overwhelmed with joy. Labor was over, it happened just how I had hoped and prayed it would, and she was actually here in my arms. She was perfect and when I saw that little face, I was instantly in love. It was such a sacred, peaceful moment as I sat there with my husband and my new baby and watched the sun come up.

Is there anything more amazing, beautiful and spiritual than being able to grow a little baby and then bring them into the world? I feel so grateful for the two babies that have made me feel so close to heaven, and so empowered in my role as a woman and mother.




4 comments:

Becky said...

Beautiful birth story, I'm so happy it went well for you!

I just tried to call and leave you a message, but my phone died so I don't know if I got cut off or not... Anywho, I. Achievement days, we made freezer meals for new moms, and I have one for you! Give me a call and let me know when and where to deliver it!

979-9639

Becky

The Orrs said...

I love this! You Are such a great mom Amy! You guys are such a amazing little family!

Ashley said...

Your so amazing amy! I'm glad things went ok & you look so good in the pictures! Congrats to being a mommmy again :)

Stephanie Bengtson said...

I love labor stories!! I am so proud of you!! You are such an amazing mother and wife. Brock is so lucky. I am so glad it went exactly the way you wanted it to and quickly!! I was praying for that. I can't wait to meet her, we need to skype!! Love you